Saturday, May 14, 2011

The desert is great right now.

This has been a very good week. With the temperature hovering around 70 degrees in the daytime, this is the perfect time to get out and see some of the incredible reptiles that are found in the Mojave Desert.  I have taken 4 trips onto the Red Cliffs Desert Reserve in Washington County and have seen 3 Desert Tortoises and several lizards.  I am still looking for snakes and will let you know what I find.  Here is a look at some of the species that I have seen so far.

Desert tortoise
Desert tortoise-5.JPG

Zebra-tailed lizard
Lizzards-3.JPG

Side blotched lizard
Lizzards-2.JPG

Leopard lizard
Lizzards-1.JPG

In a couple of weeks it will get really hot and the reptiles will be spending less time above the ground.  Now is the time to get out and walk in our beautiful desert.

2 comments:

  1. Really beautiful! So different from what I'm used to. I've always liked the desert, it fascinates me, so I really enjoy your desert shots :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Golly! How do you even find these things? You must just have some animal magnetism or something.

    ReplyDelete